Lame Hereford Hog

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by Higgins, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Higgins

Higgins Hog Hill Farm, Leroy Mich

I have a 400 lb pregnant gilt that appears to have either a broken front leg or dislocated shoulder. I can't feel and think broken, no swelling, but the hoof and wrist is pointing outward when she stands on it. I have about $1800 into her. She came from good stock and was bread with a champion Hereford. Waiting on a vet to come look and see if there is something we can do. In the mean time, does anyone have any thoughts other than bacon and ribs? She is such a good tempered hog and hate to see her go to the frying pan.

2. Andi

Andi New Member

Update ???

3. Higgins

Leg is Not broken or dislocated thank God. Cracked hoof, will be fine.

4. PigsRUsColorado

PigsRUsColorado New Member

5. Higgins

Thanks, I'm happy for me too.... even more for the hog.

6. PigsRUsColorado

So do you breed show stock?

7. Higgins

We are working toward that ring. The dams are real nice and come from good stock, the sires we are picking are champions. We missed the 4H and FFA window this year as the gilts were too young to breed, but next year we will be cycling to make those windows for sure. It's too bad the 4H shows are terminal...the kids only get to show once?

8. PigsRUsColorado

I don't know about the 4-H thing , so what made you go with Herefords?

9. Higgins

Ran across them, investigated the breed and decided we wanted to do them. We also do York/Berk crosses.

10. Jaberwoki

Jaberwoki New Member

We should meet and compare bloodlines. We have 3 different bloodlines. I might be interested if you want to swap piglets.

[​IMG]

11. Higgins

Nice looking hogs. Thanks, but we are very cautious of swapping and moving stock from other farms due to the PEDV killing piglets across the country. We use AI technique only and practice the best bio-security we can for our small operation. Pray the minds come up with a vaccination soon. Pray for the farmers who have the virus and the ones who do not!

12. PigsRUsColorado

That's smart ,

13. Jaberwoki

Jaberwoki New Member

Yeh... no pedv here either. But you must buy feed, sell pigs, etc. etc. And 99% of the people won't buy from a picture alone. Let me know if you change your mind. ;)

14. Higgins

Will do, not saying I wont consider it... We are farrowing two Herefords in May and June, used a couple real nice sires. "Lets Roll" and "Rusty Gold" from PBG. Maybe we can do something around weaning time.

15. Jaberwoki

Jaberwoki New Member

Yeh, I have one gilt off rusty gold and three off sycamore. I like sycamore.

Rusty gold's sire is sycamore. ;)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  16. Higgins

Farrowed 19-May-14, she had 10, one still, Weaned 9 last week. Have a few off-marked gilts and barrows left. Rusty Gold's litter. Cute, too much white and red in the wrong places. 4 were perfect.

Had two litters of York/berks as well. 13 in one litter, 10 in the other. lots of bacon seed!

Attached Files:

17. havasu

havasu Banned

Good looking little guys!

18. Higgins

Thanks, they sure are cute.... and smart. Hopefully they will be riding a unicycle and playing the bagpipes in a few months. LOL