Largest Litter of Piglets?

Discussion in 'General Pig Discussion' started by PigsRUsColorado, Dec 27, 2013.

1. PigsRUsColorado

PigsRUsColorado New Member

Hi, I was wondering what all of your biggest litters where ? My largest has been 13 from a Red Wattle sow.

2. Highlands

Highlands Pastured Pigs in Vermont

23 live from our MainlinexBlackie pigs (http://SugarMtnFarm.com/pigs). We've had many in the 14 to 19 range but 8 to 12 is more normal.

3. PigsRUsColorado

PigsRUsColorado New Member

OMG !! That was one huge litter !!! Did they all make it ?

4. LizzieSue

LizzieSue New Member

That is a bunch of pigs, highlands!

And as PigsRUsColorado asks, did they all live?

5. SarahBeth

SarahBeth New Member

I wonder if they all lived also.

Maybe highlands will be back soon to let us know what the outcome was.

6. Highlands

I seem to remember it was 19. That was an unusually large litter although we've had some others in the high teens.

Most litters are eight to 12. Gilts generally start out around six to eight and then add one piglet count per parity (litter) until they drop off dramatically as old sows and then cease to heat.

7. weltejack

weltejack New Member

We had over 23 piglets alive then two days later 14 died for what ever reason

8. Highlands

Might have been hypoglycemia - not getting enough sugar from not getting enough milk. Grafting onto other sows can help if the sow does not have enough teats.

9. Tasso

Tasso New Member

My largest litter from Big Mamma was 20. Unfortunately she had them in August and I was at work so only 10 made it.