Veterinarian Cost with Pigs

Discussion in 'Veterinarians and Professionals' started by BEverret, Sep 11, 2013.

1. BEverret

BEverret New Member

If a pig has an issue is comparable in price to a cat or dig, or more inline with a horse or other large farm animal? I'm still debating getting pigs and this would be a huge issue.

How often does everyone's pigs need to go to the vet?

2. Dink

Dink New Member

It's more in line with a horse but on a bright side I have never had a hog need a vet Thank God.

3. championlivestock

championlivestock New Member

It is definitely more in line with other large animals, such as cattle or horses. I have not had to use a vet very often, but when I have, it's been because it's a train wreck, such as a prolapse. Some people also have to call a vet to pull pigs or other practices that I usually do myself.

I have also had pot bellied pigs, and had one that got attacked by a stray dog. It was nearly $400 to have him fixed up.

4. PF

PF Administrator Staff Member

What happened to it? What did they have to fix?

5. championlivestock

He had several puncture wounds and they ended up amputating part of his ear. It looked a lot worse than it really was. The bummer part was I had to take him to a vet teaching hospital (only place there was a vet who would see him) and it was after 5 so there was an after hours charge.

However, the sow I had with the prolapse ended up being nearly $500 for that vet bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Pig Forum

6. PF

Could you have tended to the ear yourself knowing now what they were going to do?

7. CesumPec

CesumPec New Member

Were these pets or livestock pigs? Spending $400 - 500 on livestock doesn't make sense to me, unless it is some prize animal.

8. championlivestock

I probably could have tended to the ear myself knowing what I know now. As for the prolapse, no way. That had to be done by a vet. I raise show pigs, and since the sow was bred, it was worth it to spend the money on her.

Bottom line though, it's not cheap to have a vet work on pigs usually.

Robyn Scherer
    Owner, Champion Livestock
    www.championlivestock.com

9. PF

What did they do for the prolapse?

10. Andi

Andi New Member

I can't remember a problem we have ever had with a pig. Granted we only raise one or two a year (for 30 years) but I can say I've never called a vet for any of them.

We free range them with the sheep and they pretty well tend themselves. I'm sure if I had a large number of pigs, that could very well change but with a little care ours have done well. (KNOCK ON WOOD ;))